Monday 20 July 2009

German 125cc GP

Marquez’s podium hopes end in gravel in closing stages of German 125cc GP

KTM Press Release

Red Bull KTM Moto Sport’s talented young Spaniard Marc Marquez was denied a podium place on Sunday at the German 125cc GP on the Sachsenring when he slid off the track in the closing stages of the race.

Marquez was able to remount and finally finished back in sixteenth place, two behind KTM teammate American Cameron Beaubier. A series of slick maneuvers and patience had allowed him to slip from fifth to third place going into the final lap and he seemed to have the minor podium firmly in his grasp. The 16-year-old Spaniard was already sizing up fellow Spaniard Joan Olive with just a lap and a half to go. He moved up from fifth to fourth place before then advancing to third. But then he was involved in a spectacular high side after a too close encounter with fourth placed Nicolas Terol on the final lap. Fortunately he was not seriously injured.

Marc Marquez: "My start was not so good but I did manage to overtake a couple of riders in the first lap. The times were much faster today because it was dry and initially I didn't have such a good feeling for the bike. But that changed, especially when it looked like I was going to make the podium. But then on the straight just before the last corner Olive went zigzag and we touched. The unlucky thing was that he touched my brake lever and when I wanted to brake it no longer worked. The crash looked very spectacular, but luckily I am in very good physical shape so I wasn't hurt."

Marquez has started the day well being the fastest in the morning warm-up after winning a very creditable third place on the front line grid in Saturday's qualifying. The race was in dry weather in contrast to a difficult qualifying session on Saturday when riders battled rain and a slippery surface on the traditional German circuit.

For Marquez's young teammate Beaubier, also just 16 years old, it was his best finish so far this season and he finished with two championship points.

Cameron Beaubier: "My start was okay and I was able to pass some guys but they were taking be back during the first lap. It was a constant battle and when I started to go faster I made a mistake went off the track. Later in the race I tried very hard to close the gap to the guys in front of me and I was lucky to score two points today. During warm up I saw that our bike set up was much better and I was confident for the race."

Team boss Harald Bartol: "The situation with Marquez in the final lap was not completely kosher, but that's racing. Marc again did do a very good race. It was just a pity that the brake lever got bent so badly in the fight with Olive. As regards to Cameron I think he would have been able to pick up even more points with some better concentration. But on the other hand, I have to admit that this circuit doesn't give you many chances to relax.”

No comments:

Post a Comment