Wednesday 1 July 2009

Runner-up slot and a cracked bone for Biaggi at Donington

World Superbike Press Release

Max Biaggi may have powered his Aprilia RSV4 to a best-ever second place result in the Italian factory's fledgling WSB year, but he also came away from Donington Park with a cracked bone in his right foot. On lap 4 of the second race Biaggi lost his front tire at the Melbourne hairpin and slipped to the ground.

He quickly got back on his bike and returned to the race, but on re-entry, Max came into contact with Polita (Celani Suzuki) along the outer curb and slipped back to twentieth place. During the crash, the Roman rider ended up with a bruise and a minor injury to the third metatarsal of his right foot, but he still managed to finish the race in twentieth place. The degree of his injuries will not prevent Max from participating in the Aprilia's private test run on the Brno track that is scheduled for July 1st and 2nd.

"I'm very pleased with the result of race 1," declared Biaggi. "After some difficult trials, we finally found the right tires and balance, even though we had a few problems during the warm-up. We had a great race, and we managed to set a pace that was just under the track record. I must compliment Ben, because he set an incredible pace. At the last chicane, the bike died out suddenly, but fortunately it started again and because of the lead I had gained over Haga, I still managed to cross the finish line in second place. During the second race, I felt the vibrations a lot more, it was probably because of the fact that there wasn't as much grip on the track which would also explain why there were so many falls. I started off well and I was able to keep up with Spies' pace, but during the fourth lap I entered the hairpin the same way I always do and about halfway through, I lost the front tire. I managed to keep the motorcycle running, but re-entering from the outer curb area, I was hit by another driver and ended up with this minor injury to my foot. I'm disappointed because I could have had another podium finish."

No comments:

Post a Comment